Have you tried to type in Urdu on your Android phone? Most of us can, while many don’t know how to do that.
Most Android phones launched specially for Pakistan (and Middle East region) have Urdu language and input support, but some phones don’t. Over the past few weeks, I have got several queries on email and Facebook on how to type in Urdu on phones.
How to Type in Urdu on Android Phones
It is pretty easy to start typing in Urdu on an Android phone. Follow these simple steps below:
1. Download and install GO Keyboard from the Android Market.
2. Open the app and follow the on-screen steps to enable and switch to GO Keyboard.
3. After you enable it, go to “Input Settings” in the app and then go to “Input language settings”.
4. Scroll down till you see Urdu (in Urdu font).
5. Check the box. A popup box will open to download the language files. Tap the ‘Done’ button.
6. Download “Urdu for GO Keyboard” app from the Android Market.
7. Now open any app for text input (i.e. Messages) and pop open the keyboard.
8. Tap the ‘EN’ key on your GO Keyboard and it will change to Urdu keyboard.
I hope this tutorial was helpful to those who want to type in Urdu on Android phones.
GO Keyboard is not the only app which allows you to type in Urdu. MultiLang Keyboard also has Urdu language support.